Join Be The Match Registry
As part of the National Marrow Donor Program’s Be The Match® Registry, Michigan Blood recruits potential marrow/blood stem cell donors from across the country and around the world. Patients needing blood stem cell (marrow) transplants can only find a suitable match within their own family about 30% of the time. The remaining 70% of matches are made between complete strangers via the Be The Match Registry. The more people who join, the more chances of a match for thousands of patients with leukemia, lymphoma, and other blood cancers and diseases. A blood stem cell (marrow) transplant is often a patient’s last, best chance for survival.
Any healthy person between the ages of 18 and 44 join the Registry. All that’s needed is a cheek-swab or blood sample and completion of a simple health questionnaire.
Adding ethnic minorities to the registry is especially important. Patients are most likely to match someone of their own race or ethnicity. Adding more diverse members to the Registry increases the likelihood that all patients will find the life-saving match they so desperately need.
Call 1-866-MIBLOOD (642-5663) for more information.
Watch a video about the National Marrow Donor Program.